- We have replaced most of the plastic products used in the restaurants with biodegradable, eco-friendly products. Example: Drinking straws, stir sticks, to-go containers.
- We use office products made from or containing recycled materials.
- All of our ware-washing chemicals are Green Seal Certified.
- We use Green Seal certified cleaning supplies in our housekeeping Department.
- Fin fish and shellfish that are harvested/farmed using techniques that have a low impact on the physical environment and non-targeted species, and at a level that does not degrade the current populations.
- We use line-caught haddock in place of trawler caught (trawling damages the sea floor and has a significant amount of bycatch).
Local, Organic, Natural
Our first priority in purchasing is locally produced goods. There are many reasons for this: supporting local farmers, preserving open space, keeping the money circle small etc. Organic is our second priority. Organic food is grown in such a way that it does not have a negative impact on the environment. We believe that it is also a healthier choice for us and our customers. Natural meats are simply a step away form organic. A cow that is naturally raised is given no antibiotics or growth hormones; an organic cow also is feed only certified organic feed.
We spend more than one hundred thousand dollars a year on local organic produce.
- 95% of all our pork products come from naturally raised Maine pigs.
- 75% of all our chicken is naturally raised in Maine.
- 90% of our beef is naturally raised.
- All of our dairy products, with the exception of some cheeses, are from New England.
- Most of our seafood comes from local waters.
- 75% of our rice, cereals, flour, and grain are organic
- Many of our oils and vinegars are organic.