Total Green Community Model - Physical Plant
The Harraseeket Inn, An Enviromentally Friendly, Green Hotel
- The Inn is equipped with a sophisticated HVAC system that reclaims waste heat from the refrigerators, walk-in coolers, ice machines, and freezers and uses it to heat the guest rooms and public areas. It can also move heat from the sunny side of the building to cooler rooms on the shady side.
- We have replaced incandescent light bulbs with CFL light bulbs and older T-12 fluorescent lights withT#8 or T-6 lights.
- When equipment is replaced, such as refrigerators or electric motors, we purchase "Energy Star” compliant equipment.
- We utilize a 40-gallon biodiesel reactor to make 40 gallons of biodiesel a week from used fry oil to operate our John Deere tractor, Mercedes station wagon, and Chevrolet pick-up truck. (Yes, that's why the general manager can often be seen carrying a glass canister of what looks like urine through the lower corridors at all hours of the day. It's not what you think, really. He's testing the latest batch of biodiesel).
- We heat our water with clean burning propane instead of oil.
- We use low-flow toilets in all guest rooms and restrooms.
- We are a non-smoking hotel.
- We offer you the choice of having your linens done daily or not. This saves a tremendous amount of energy and chemicals and has helped greatly to reduce our carbon footprint.
- We thank all of you for your enthusiastic support of this program.